Lately I am in a porky mood. Perhaps it’s because the cost of chicken seems to have gone through the roof, and beef in Ontario never measures up to that of my native Alberta. Passing through the meat department while grabbing some groceries this week, a package of 4 fat and sassy pork chops called my name.
As dinner time rolled around today, I thought to myself, “no more lazy mushroom soup concoctions.” It was time to branch out! After searching the web for a satisfying main dish, I was still stumped. So I created a bit of a mix of several recipes I saw, and am quite happy with the zippy, saucy result.
Saucy Pork Chops
- 4 thick cut pork chops (bone in)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- dash of Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Brown pork chops in a very hot skillet. Remove from skillet and place in a baking dish.
- Saute veggies in the same pan until softened. Spread over top of the pork chops.
- Mix together remaining ingredients in a small bowl, then pour over the baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 375F.
I paired this with rice as it’s nice to pour the extra sauce over top, and threw some broccoli on the side to up the veggie factor. There is no denying that this is one satisfyingly saucy meal.